RiVAL, the ReImagining Value Action Lab, is seeking a contract production assistant to work an average of 5 hours per week on an ongoing basis.
This job can be performed remotely from anywhere, but candidates must be legally able to work in Canada (citizens, permanent residents and/or work visa).
RiVAL encourages and prioritizes applications from people from equity-seeking groups.
Please use online form below to apply by April 14, 2020.
RiVAL is a workshop for the radical imagination, social justice and decolonization with its headquarters in Anishinaabe territories on the North shore of Lake Superior and with activities around the world. It supports research and activities at the intersection of critical inquiry, social activism and interventionist art. It is co-directed by Max Haiven, Canada Research Chair in Culture, Media and Social Justice at Lakehead University, and Cassie Thornton, artist and activist. In addition to its directors, RiVAL is also staffed by or supports the work of graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, visiting artists, and community practitioners.
- For more information, visit rival.lakeheadu.ca.
- You can find an archive of our newsletters, which offer a snapshot of our varied activities, at rival.lakeheadu.ca/things/newsletter
About the production assistant position
By “production assistant” we mean a person who will assist RiVAL’s co-directors with many of the aspects of RiVAL’s ongoing work.
Examples of normal activities
- Writing and editing public announcements, press releases, and communications
- Developing and maintaining schedules, workflows, timetables and plans
- Project management and communications
- Academic and other forms of research
- Public and media relations and communications
- Managing social media accounts and websites
- Coordinating and helping to manage online events
- Editing podcasts, videos, websites and other media
- Managing travel and logistics
- Meeting semi-regularly with RiVAL staff via online platforms (once every 2-3 weeks)
- Excellent time management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (English)
- The ability to take direction and take initiative
- Flexible schedule
- The ability to adapt to working with diverse teams and sometimes chaotic circumstances
- Experience in or knowledge of any or all of the following contexts:
- Academic research (humanities and social sciences)
- Social activism
- Interventionist art
- A passion for the impossible
- Understanding of and an abiding fury towards the intersections of capitalism, racism, (hetero/cis)sexism, colonialism, ablism and other forms of exploitation of oppression
- (preferred) Working knowledge of major social media platforms, including advertising and promotions functions.
- (preferred) Experience with academic research (social sciences/humanities)
- (preferred) Competency with Adobe Creative Suite
- (preferred) Competency with audio and/or video editing software
- (preferred) Competency with WordPress
Details of employment
- The position entails a average of 5h per week of work, with some weeks requiring more and some less. Flexibility (+/- 2-4h per week) is very important.
- The production assistant will be paid at a rate of $25/h (CAD) plus 4% in lieu of vacation.
- The candidate will be a contract employee of Lakehead University and must be eligible to work in Canada
- The work may be undertaken online, from anywhere.
- This position will be offered initially on a three month basis, with the opportunity to continue into the future as funding allows (we prefer to find someone who may be able to work with us for the long-term, if the first three months go well).
- The position can begin immediately.
- PLEASE NOTE: We will only be seriously considering applications from candidates that demonstrate a clear interest in and affinity for our lab’s activities and approach. Please take time to familiarize yourself with who we are and what we do.
- Please complete this online application form by April 14, 2020.
- Your information will be kept confidential.
- APPLICATION FORM —> https://forms.gle/hECRUCtb7aSp5GqU6
- RiVAL’s co-directors will create a shortlist and notify successful candidates on April 15.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a short (30min) online interview at a mutually agreeable time on April 17.
- The shortlist will be sent to an outside jury for final selection.
- The successful candidate, if they accept the offer of employment, can expect to begin immediately.
- For clarification and inquiries, please email info.rival [at] lakeheadu.ca
- Do NOT email applications, please use the above form!